Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Crime

There have been a lot of thefts in my area lately. A neighbor just down the street from me had his boat stolen. Three miles or so north of here it was a Cub Cadet rider loaded up and gone. It was looking like they may have had a lead on the perpetrator when they were caught in the act putting a zero turn on a trailer. They fled the scene but I read that they had a plate number and a positive identification. Then today a truck pulled up to place on the other side of Swanton and helped themselves to a bike and power washer. All of these crimes happened in broad daylight when many people work. There have been several garages hit hard at night too. Sometimes a barking dog has been enough to scare them off but then again not every theft appears on the county community watch Facebook page. When we were robbed the Deputy pretty much shrugged and said catching them does little as they will be back out in a few months. I know that theft is nothing new but these reports are coming in so frequently and so close that they are taking a mental toll on me. We live on a busy corner and every out of place noise has me very jumpy. Some may call me an extremist or a whack job or whatever pejorative they prefer but I have taken the habit of belting on my 8" Bowie knife and slinging my 12g Remington over my shoulder. It is not that I bring them with me slathering in anticipation of using them but taking advice from Theodore Roosevelt who is know for the diplomacy of "Speak softy and carry a big stick". It is a show of force. I have been told by pop culture all the way back to Adam West's portrayal of Batman that criminals are cowardly sorts, The thinking goes that the cowards look for a softer target; meaning they will go where the shotgun wielding viking-like weirdo is NOT.  Before you anti-gun types get your undies in a bundle about this, do know that I am completely within my rights to open carry. Will it make a difference? I have no idea. What are the odds that anyone "casing the joint" will even notice my activity? Slim to none. Does it make me feel like I am doing something to protect what we both have worked so hard for? You bet it does. Should I get a dog? Roger that!

On the non-crime side of things, I hung the casing on the other window in the kitchen. It has no interior sill so it was relatively simpler. It did however manage to show me again that I am not a carpenter but at least it is up. I refrained from caulking it in because I wanted her to see it first to get a judgement call if I should tear it down and start over, I do like things done right but she deemed it within an acceptable margin of error. It is not that noticeable but it sure would not pass muster at a Japanese manufacturing facility. It sound like my carpentry skills may or may not be  the equivalent of a late 70's GM sedan.  I am OK with and know that it will get better with practice. There was a time in my not so distant past where something akin to this would have thrown me to the depths of despair and depressions.  So, there is some personal growth going on.

I also spent a significant portion of the day policing the cats and making sure that the kitten will not be bullied away from the food nor the catbox. I am sure they will learn to get along but until then I take solace in the fact that Persephone is still small enough to bolt under the couch where the hulking brute Emrys can not fit. I also was able to go out to dinner to share a meal with a friend. We talked about the woes of the world and how crazy people are. I learned a few things about semi trucks and how modern engine brakes in Volvo diesels are quieter than traditional jake brakes. I will try to make things I learn as part of the blog.

Will the cowardly criminal keep away from the mower or will the lunatic farmer shoot his foot?  Tune in next blog, Same blog-time, same blog-channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment