Over the past few months they have been repaving Road 3 from Airport Highway all the way the next county south called Henry. The final step of painting the lines has finally been done and the construction signs have come down. They left the small wire and plastic flag that was the marker for where the sign would go. I went to go pull it out and saw two bolts, washers and nuts. It most likely is what held the sign on the post. They will go in box in the barn and may be needed some day. I say that about WAY too many things. Funny thing is that when I finally do get rid of something useful I end up needing it the next week! That is life.
Many people are getting rid of their TV. Not over here. One of today's biggest accomplishments was programming the cable remote so that it can run the TV too. This may not be much to some people and all it took was a few button presses but I am not a real techie person so it made me feel good to figure it out. We found the remotes instruction ad code list. There is even a code for the Xbox so now I can turn it off and on as well as navigate menus with the cable remote. Go me.
The biggest news around the house is that Jette used the washer and drier for the first time. I do lots of the house cleaning chores but laundry is something she has hung onto. I am not complaining. The laundry room has been done for weeks now but neither the washer or the drier would work at first. It ends up I had turned the water and gas lines off while they were not being used. It was an easy fix. Even though the laundry room is hopelessly small and crammed full with the furnace and hot water tank Jette is very pleased that it all worked. It was laying heavy on her mind not knowing if or how laundry would work out here. This goes a long way in easing her mind.
The other big thing was that we found our wind chime and hung it up. The picture is on my Instagram. We bought this years ago on a road trip to Arkansas. Outside of Eureka Springs was the reigning largest wind chime. Since then larger ones have been constructed but he claims that his chimes are all properly tuned to a musical scale. The larger ones to him are just big pipes where his are an instrument. Sadly, I learned that the Oak tree from which they were hung has succumbed to disease and died, In spite of that our chimes now beautifully hang from the top of the porch. It has a green glass wind catcher and is tuned to 5 notes of Brahms Lullaby.
After all of the days excitement we stopped at a nearby camp ground to visit my brother who brought is camper there for the weekend. I had no idea he even wanted such a thing so I hope he enjoys it and actually takes the time off work to do so. He is a very hard worker and deserves to get away from the grind. If this is what it takes then I fully support it. However, there is an equal chance that he will park it at a jobsite and never leave! I can't keep up with him but wish I had a fraction of his drive. One of his guests told me that he grew up in the Swanton area and that the farmhouse used to be a 2 room school. I have no reason to believe him either way but have not heard this before, The original structure was erected in the 1890s and two of those walls are still remain from when it was added on to and remodeled in the 1980. Carl across the street may be able to shed some light on whether it was a school or not. He moved here from Toledo in the 1970's and knows some local historians.
We did not want to stay there late because Saturday for the next few weeks means new Doctor Who! It did not disappoint. We pulled the cork on a bottle of Merlot which came from the Biltmore Estate by Asheville, NC. We stopped there as part of a road trip through Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. It is worth the stop; the house is impressive but the gardens/grounds were even better.
After Doctor Who, I did some more unpacking while Shaun of the Dead played on the TV. When I was younger I would get so mad at the "bad guy" in a movie. In this movie the "bad guy" is Shaun's ex-gfs new guy. He is an upper class jerk who undermines and second guesses Shauns choices yet keeps following him because he had no clue what to do. Characters like that used to get me going so bad that it would irritate people, a certain ex-gf of mine comes to mind. As I have gotten older I have reigned it in considerably. I do not know if this change can be accredited to is just growing up or realizing that it is just a movie and the actor is doing a good job if you dislike him. The answer most likely is some of both and now I save my outrage for things that actually matter to real people. Never stop growing and learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment