Sunday, November 22, 2015

Happy Beef Day

Hi there.  It has been a few days.  I had a long stretch of blogging every day even when I did not want to.  It is a good time to slow things down and only write when there are good, positive things that I did or when I feel like writing about a more serious topic.

We had our first measurable snow last night.

The guy who was going to help with the attic worked a double shift yesterday and was not feeling up to it.  I can understand that and would rather not have exhausted help.  We rescheduled for next Sunday.

The big thing yesterday was that we split a side of beef with the Clingo family.  It is grass fed Dexter and it always is good to have a supply of quality beef in the freezer. I feel very blessed.  The farmer who raised it, Brian Stout, delivered it to my friend Bryan's house.  Bryan is splitting a half too so there was a small crowd. There was a good energy there as both Brian and Bryan are great guys and everyone was very excited about the beef.  Events like this evoke a sense of community.  Nothing builds bridges from people to people like food can.  It transcends borders and cultures because everybody eats.  Go break bread with people!


Other things I did include getting the broken lawn mower into the barn.  It was undersized for my needs but got the job done until a better one came along.   I was able to get it started but a tire is flat.  Jim still has my air compressor; this is why you should never loan out tools.  The drive chain on the flat side seems jammed up too.  All of this led me to hooking on a tow chain and dragging the thing into the barn by hand.  Good thing I am strong.  For dinner I cooked some sausage patties that were bought as a fund raiser for a cousins teeball team.  They did not make a lot of smoke but it reminded me that I have failed to install smoke alarms even though they have been purchased.  This was corrected after dinner.  I also added a hook on the outside of my wooden gun cabinet.  I hung a boot puller from it.



Jim came over to watch football and the Packers won.  He ate way more Chexmix than I anticipated so I had to make more.  This annoyed me more than it should have but I should take it as a compliment and a sign that it is good. It is our contribution to Thanksgiving along with apples and cider from Johnstons Fruit Farm.  We actually made four different varieties including traditional, muddy buddy/puppy chow, salty honey nut, and buffalo ranch.  

This may be my last blog for a while but I am not abandoning it.  Soon enough I will be writing more about farm ideas.  This winter I am going to build a beehive!

Have a great holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment