Saturday, October 31, 2015

Celastrus orbiculatus

There is a crabapple in the back yard with a orange-yellow hued fruit.  It is covered by a vine which is also partially supporting the spreading tentacles.  The vine does not have tendrils; it climbs by twisting which may lead to premature senescence of the host tree.  The vine is called Celastrus orbiculatus or the Asian Bittersweet.  It outperforms the native variety and other plants due to its ability bit get its leaves to the sun.  It also hybridizes the native Bittersweet.  These two actions, hybridization and outperformance, are leading to the extinction of American Bittersweet.  It was brought here as an ornamental and has since been spreading west.  I will be removing this vine.

We will have a garbage can on wheels in the kitchen soon.  I bought a moving dolly at Harbor Freight when it was on sale.  I am modifying it by adding a full wooden base and attaching the garbage can with velcro.  I will add pictures soon.

Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment