Monday, October 5, 2015

More moving I guess...and politics

Yup. The basement is empty of everything we are taking except the freezer and a bench vise.  I need to bring wrenches to remove it.  The Realtor said the "For Sale" sign was going up today.  This is a huge step for us and there were several times where I thought we would never make it this far.  It still needs a lot of cleaning and my Aunt said she would help with that.  I am going to do some painting there tomorrow. If it helps it sell it will be worth the effort.  It will be so good to sell the place.  We have years worth of good memories there but it is time for the next chapter in our lives.  We had to get a mortgage on that house to buy the farm so selling it will be a huge relief in that aspect too.  We may be able to afford to repair the barn when it sells.  I really need some help with that barn!  I can do lots of things but new trusses, purlins, roof and everything else is needs is more than one guy can do.  Help!

Speaking of new chapters in our new life, there is a township trustee race coming up.  No, I am not running!  However, a current trustee is up for re election and she knocked our door and asked if she could put a sign up.  I went to a few trustee meetings when they were talking about the pipeline.  She talked to us and was very nice and was compassionate when we told her we were new to the area and were greeted by a brutal break in robbery.  The trustees passed a resolution against the pipeline; it has no teeth but we who are against it appreciate the support.  She seemed like she was doing her job well and actually listened to the people in the township.  I got a message from one of my neighbors that although she signed on with the resolution that is as far as she has gone with stopping the pipeline.  The biggest complaint my neighbor had was the claim that this trustee is costing the township $25,000 a year in health insurance costs.  I was shocked to hear that the trustees were eligible for benefits at the township tax payers expense!  It is a part time job and I heard that the other trustees have declined coverage.  In her brochure she talks about what a successful small business owner she is.  I think that I great; I am a big supporter of local small business.  Now in hindsight it looks like her company may in part be successful as she has shifted the cost of her health insurance onto the backs of the tax payers.  No bueno!  I need to look into this more and I am too new here to start stirring things up locally!  My neighbor makes this trustee out to be a do nothing politician who is only in it for the perks.  Maybe it is true, maybe my neighbor is buddy buddy with the political challenger and this is some good ol' fashioned mud slingin'.

Oh, the cats have been getting alone well.  Jette even saw them eating next to each other recently.  Persephone loves to chase the laser dot.  Dang cats...

No comments:

Post a Comment